mercredi 1 octobre 2014

New Christmas Gift Quilt


For Christmas gifts, each year in our family (40 people), we draw one name and make only one gift. It's been "expected" from me, those past few years, to make a quilt. I didn't photograph all of them, but you can see three of them, herehere and here .
This year, I drew a man's name again, and I went through my drawers for inspiration.

Pour les cadeaux de Noël, chaque année dans notre famille (40 personnes), nous tirons au sort un nom et nous faisons un seul cadeau. On "attend" de moi, depuis quelques années, que je fasse un quilt. Je n'en ai pas photographiés beaucoup, mais vous pouvez en voir trois, ici,  ici et ici. 
Cette année j'ai de nouveau tiré le nom d'un homme et j'ai farfouillé dans mes tiroirs pour trouver l'inspiration.


I realized that I have a great choice of batiks and other fabrics, in brown/green shades. I decided to take them as a starting point, and then to add yellow to make the whole more lively.

J'ai réalisé que je possède un grand choix de batiks et autres tissus dans les bruns/verts. J'ai décidé de les prendre comme point de départ, puis d'ajouter du jaune pour rendre le tout plus gai.


I now have a basic olive/yellow opposition. To make it less boring, I will stretch the olive to brown and green, and I will stretch the yellow to yellow green and yellow orange.

J'ai maintenant une opposition basique olive/jaune. Pour la rendre moins monotone, je vais tirer l'olive vers le vert et le brun, et je vais tirer le jaune vers le jaune vert et le jaune orange.

I also own a tremendous choice of fabrics in these colors!

Je possède également un incroyable choix dans ces couleurs!

I'm going to use the same design as my new pattern, Blue Ducks, but starting here with larger squares, as this 6 steps technique asks for (or allows) a lot of different fabrics. 

Je vais utiliser le même schéma que mon nouveau modèle, Blue Ducks, mais en commençant ici par des carrés plus grands. Cette technique en 6 étapes demande (ou permet) l'utilisation de beaucoup de tissus différents.

Linking to WIP Wednesday, at Freshly Pieced.


5 commentaires

  1. I like the idea of only giving one gift and then going all out and make a quilt for that person. I can't wait to see what you'll end up doing!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. lovely colours, the yellows and oranges make it glow as you say

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Thanks Alice! I must make a confession. I've had many of the fabrics I'm using for this quilt, in my drawers for years, and in many of them, I have never cut a piece! They are intact! High time for them to go to work!

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. J adore cette idée de cadeau fabriqué maison .Chez nous aussi il y a tirage au sort pour noël mais je suis la seule à fabriquer le cadeau .Un peu dommage !!!!.J ai hâte de voir le résultat.C est très prometteur .Bonne soirée

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Oh I love those oranges, yellows and greens... they are such bright, clean fabrics. They will definitely brighten up the batiks that you've chosen.

    RépondreSupprimer

On Instagram

© Mary & Patch. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.