mardi 24 novembre 2015

A new quilt for Christmas / 1




It's time to start a new Christmas quilt gift! In our large family, we pull a name and make only one gift. It's been a tradition for me to make a quilt every year. (See other Christmas quilts here, here, here and here.) 
This time I decided to take some string quilt squares I've had for years. I tried to get rid of my large stock of scrap stripes, and I freely sew them by color, on a background. I've made a lot of blocks over the years, but the amount of stripes is just the same!

C'est le moment de commencer un nouveau quilt cadeau de Noël. Dans notre grande famille, nous tirons au sort un nom et nous ne faisons qu'un cadeau. Il est de tradition que je fasse un quilt chaque année à cette occasion. (Voir d'autres quilts cadeaux de Noël ici, ici, ici et ici).
Cette fois j'ai décidé de prendre des carrés en string quilt que j'ai depuis des années. J'avais l'intention de diminuer mon stock de bandes, et je les ai cousues librement sur un fond, par couleur. J'ai fait de nombreux carrés au fil des ans, mais la montagne de bandes est intacte!



I'm trying to arrange the blocks on the ground to see what I have and what is missing.

J'arrange les carrés sur le sol pour voir ce que j'ai et ce qui manque.


I'm trying hard to get an harmonious color arrangement.

J'essaye avec peine d'obtenir un arrangement de couleurs harmonieux.


Once I'm more or less satisfied, I pin numbers on the blocs, to be able to put them on my wall.

Une fois que je suis plus ou moins satisfaite, je mets des numéros, pour pouvoir épingler les carrés sur mon mur.


I'll have to make about 15 more blocs.

Je devrais encore faire une quinzaine de carrés.



9 commentaires

  1. I very much like your string plieced blocks, their colour combination. How big are they? roughly 12 to 15 cm?

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Superbe! j'ai hâte de le voir terminé.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Je suis sûre que je vais adorer ce quilt ! Bravo !

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. What a perfect idea. However, since my family no longer exchanges gifts, you have inspired me to make 2 or more a year to give to each of the younger generation. Since I am the only quilter in my very large family, I can use lots of my design ideas that might otherwise not be completed.
    Looking back at your Christmas quilts is so delightful. Thank you so much for sharing them and your thoughts. As usual, your quilts and your art is impressive

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. C'est trés beau. Un grand travail.

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Ce commentaire a été supprimé par un administrateur du blog.

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. En voilà une bonne idée: un seul cadeau ! En plus, il sera" top"!

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. It looks great! What a lucky recipient to have you draw their name! I wish I could persuade my family to each make a gift-alas some feel creatively incompetent, though I'm sure they woudn't be. They could even make a mix tape...!

    RépondreSupprimer
  9. Beautiful, I wish I were on your Christmas list!

    RépondreSupprimer

On Instagram

© Mary & Patch. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.